Spec Miata Single Class Runs?

Club Racing topics.

Postby fastoldman » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:26 pm

What is the chance we can get a Spec Miata single class run group? Do we have to have a set number of drivers prior to the event, or can it be decided at the track , as it was at Topeka. If we get to 20+, it would sure make sense, and it makes for alot closer racing and less traffic concerns ( could be 40+ cars with the IT contingent added in ). Figured it was good to bring up now, just in case we can remedy the situation ahead of time.

PS - Boy do I love the AMB timing system.
fastoldman

Postby Speed Raycer » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:40 pm

Keep bringing in the #s and I would imagine you'd have your own rungroup... or at least a majority SM run group. The did it at Gateway in March. They grouped SM and IT7 together.
Scott Rhea
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it.
Izzy's Custom Cages
Speed Raycer
Advanced Member

Postby fastoldman » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:56 pm

It was done just a couple of weeks ago at Topeka, so here is hoping they view it again. IT7 with us would be great too!
fastoldman

Postby tnord » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:46 am

iirc, Ms Huxtable told me if we get 25per event we'll get our own group next year.

well, we've been dang close. it was 24 at gateway i think, and 20 at topeka. hopefully we'll get at least 20 again at MAM. i would think more and more of them will come out of the woodwork as the year goes on. :ph34r:
Lenexa, KS<br>SM #38 Red
tnord
Advanced Member

Postby Jerry Doctor » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:57 am

This is a very difficult issue. Group 6 (IT and SM) is VERY large. Every number available in it has been sold. That's 110 numbers! (0-99 and 00-09) It certainly makes sense to break it up and with the number of SM's that have been showing up, that is the logical way to do it.

On the other hand... If all you do is split group 6, there would be seven race groups. Very difficult to schedule, particularly on a national weekend. So, who are you going to combine? There aren't a lot of formula cars, for example, but do you really want Atlantics running with Vee's?

At this time we will continue to see the same groupings as in the past. The stewards, however, constantly monitor the registration numbers with a look at reorganizing them for any given event if that will improve balance and/or safety.

A difficult situation that only gets more difficult as we continue to add classes.

Jerry Doctor
Jerry Doctor
Advanced Member

Postby tnord » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:09 pm

i don't have everybody's results from St Louis or Topeka, but we got our own group somehow at those places. anybody remember who they combined? i thought there were only like 4 or maybe 5 groups in St Louis.
Lenexa, KS<br>SM #38 Red
tnord
Advanced Member

Postby mustanghammer » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:45 pm

It seems to me that they eliminated the AS, T1 & T2, SSC & SSB run group by redistributing those cars in to Groups 1 and 2. Here were the groups:

Group 1 - T1, ITE, GT, AS, Production
Group 2 - FA FC CSR S2000
Group 3 - IT, T2, SSC/SSB
Group 4 - FF FV DSR F500
Group 5 - SM

As an IT7 driver I would like to be combined with SM as well. An all Mazda Group would be fun to race in and watch.

Scott Peterson
IT7 #17
mustanghammer

Postby KelleyHux » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:59 pm

Wait a minute ... I merely suggested that if the SMers could bring 25 of their closest friends to each event, then the organizers would probably look at a separate run group for each event. I don't have any direct input into how the regions/race groups schedule their groups (although it is recommended by the MiDiv Executive Committee to use the permanent number groupings).

So far, the events where we've seen SM/IT split into different groups are the traditionally lesser attended events (School/Regional, Regional/Regional). I suspect the first true test of how we deal with a large SM/IT turnout along with National racing will be at MidAmerica in a couple of weeks.

Kelley Huxtable
MiDiv National Pointskeeper
& "Permanent Number Seller"
KelleyHux
Advanced Member

Postby Jerry Doctor » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:35 am

At the moment there are 74 entries for MAM but only 6 Spec Miatas.

Jerry Doctor
Jerry Doctor
Advanced Member

Postby tnord » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:18 am

make that 8, mine is in the mail.
Lenexa, KS<br>SM #38 Red
tnord
Advanced Member

Postby jigou » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:36 am

I can think of 7 "usual suspect" SMs right now not on the entry list, but who have said they're planning on being there.

They're just procrastinating.

Well, OK, we're just procrastinating....

:D

Honestly, in looking through the number list, it wouldn't surprise me to see 10-15 more SMs registered by race day....

Jarrod
(fingers crossed....)
jigou

Postby FlyingWrench75 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:28 pm

Jerry: Would Atlantics and Vees be any different than ITE Vipers, Vettes, etc and ITC cars with a huge closure rate?1:34-35 lap times vs. over 2 minutes?. Running with the GT1-3, TI-2, AS, etc is a good group for ITE, but except for some REALLY FAST E Prod cars, the SSB-C and lower Prod cars are similarly much slower. IMHO SCCA really needs to address this, whether it be regional or national classes. I know there might be a pretty wide margin between lap times for cars in a single class, but that could happen in any class due to dollars spent, car prep or driver ability. Obviously FOM has a good point, if and when SM has 20-25 entries, why not combine them with a class w/ similar lap times and give them their own run group? Whatever, we'll just be glad to be racing. Looking forward to good weather and a good turnout for next week's races. By the way, we'll be providing some special memorial decals for Dave Pistole which can be distributed at registration. Good racin' to ya all. Stan
FlyingWrench75

Postby fastoldman » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:14 pm

Flying Wrench said it all, as there is a big discrepancy between ITE and the rest of us. I can't imagine why they couldn't put all the Formula Cars together, as they would be spreading out smaller numbers than the 40+ cars we will probably see in the IT, SM group - IMHO.
fastoldman

Postby mustanghammer » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:41 pm

I was really happy to see the ITE cars in with the GT/Prod/SP/T1/AS cars at Heartland Park. For a Regional only weekend it was a very good plan. Because of this I knew that I could spend more time looking out the windshield instead in in the rear-view mirror. Don't know how you would do that on a Regional/National weekend, however.

Ideally, it would be best to keep speeds consistent between the cars on course. Weight and car construction limits needs to be considered too. I can see where putting FV and FA cars together would be similar to what happens in IT and GT/Prod but why create another bad situation.

I guess this becomes a moot point when SM becomes a National Class and is placed in the AS/T/SS run group.

Scott Peterson
IT7 #17

A Yellow RX7 that may grow up to be as fast as the "REALLY FAST E Prod car"....some day!
mustanghammer

Postby Jerry Doctor » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:16 am

The simple fact is that there are too many classes with too many cars of vastly different capabilities to create six homogeneous race groups. Every "solution" that one driver offers results in another driver screaming foul. I rather foolishly suggested at one time two classes should run together because of the cars were of similar size and ran similar lap times. Drivers from both classes told me I was out of my mind. One class was fast in the corners and slow on the straights. The other just the opposite. "Sure to cause accidents," complained both sides.

Posible solutions:

1. Adoption of the 26 hour day.

2. Three day weekends.

3. Elimination of several classes.

My 34 years in SCCA leads me to believe that option 3 is the least likely.

Jerry
Jerry Doctor
Advanced Member

Return to Club Racing