What's The Story With The Icard?

Club Racing topics.

Postby jkopp » Mon May 03, 2004 8:45 pm

So far, I have only been able to get my iCard to work once this year - at the first gathering in St. Louis the last weekend of March. Nothing at HPT, nothing at MAM, and nothing at GIR this past weekend (even though it worked there the first weekend). Should this thing be working everywhere and if so am I suppose to reset it or something? Seems like an aweful big waste of money at this point. I could be completely dreaming this up, but wasn't there mention at some point that the signal would be transmitted at all the MIDIV tracks as part of the agreement to go with transponders or something along those lines? Just curious, I'm considering throwing the darn thing on ebay.
Jeff Kopp<br>#36 AS Camaro<br>K.C. Region<br>Crew Chief for Mike McGinley - #50 T1 Corvette

Postby kloerch » Tue May 04, 2004 3:25 am

The plan was to broadcast the iCard info at Gateway last weekend, but a software glitch/bad file prevented it. I talked to Brad & Patti (T&S) at the Sat night party, they'd contacted iCard, and they were expecting a corrected file emailed from the "iCard Guy" to fix the problem for Sunday. Don't know what happened, but it didn't. It should next StL race, tho.

Can't speak for HPT or MAM, but I heard MidSouth decided not to spend the money for the equipment to broadcast iCard info, at least until the whole transponder thing is a little more stable.
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Loerch</span><br>-------<br><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Leave no turn unstoned</span>

Postby jigou » Tue May 04, 2004 12:48 pm

The tracks do have to make an investment - or, at the very least, a commitment - to broadcast iCard data.

MAM (the track itself, not the MVRG renting the track) is talking with the iCard folks right now. They MAY have the broadcast system set up for the August SCCA event there....they may not.

If the track/sanctioning body signs an exclusive contract with iCard, they can get the software and hardware to broadcast for free, I believe.... Of course, that "software and hardware" package does NOT include the separate computer needed. (All of this is from my foggy memory, so take it for what it's worth.) I believe further details are on the iCard website: <a href='http://www.icardus.com' target='_blank'>http://www.icardus.com</a>

Obviously, learning the new transponder system is priority #1 (and probaby #2 as well) for our T&S crews at this point. Once all the bugs are worked out and everyone is comfortable with the transponder systems themselves, add-ons like iCard will be easier to handle.

One thing I'm comfortable saying with certainty: if anyone wants to lend a hand in T&S, the more people they have the more likely they'll add "frills" like iCard. If they can barely get enough bodies to run the transponder system and its backup as-is, it'll be a long time before the "frills" come in.

Postby Speed Raycer » Tue May 04, 2004 1:32 pm

From what I've heard, T&S at Gateway has their hands full. The transponder results are #1 priority. Until that is under control everything else is low priority (iCard, mylaps.com etc)
Scott Rhea
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it.
Izzy's Custom Cages
Speed Raycer
Advanced Member

Return to Club Racing