New Classes And Race Groups

Club Racing topics.

Postby Cheerful-Linda » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:34 am

SCCA is introducing new race classes for 2007 and moving some cars into a different class than they raced in 2006. How or Who decides which group a class races in? When would the class & group info be published / posted?

Thanks,
Linda Miklovic
StL Club Race Chair
Cheerful-Linda

Postby Chuck Clark » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:09 am

Linda,

The GCR sets guidlines for groupings, but there are no hard and fast rules. The MiDiv Exec Committee set number groupings and suggest that you run those groups at your events. However, each Region has the right to set their groups as they see fit. There needs to be some flexibility in the groups because each Region has certains classes that are more popular than others, and in the case of KVRG events, the stand alone National format allows for more run groups.

As a driver, the only suggestion I would make is that it is more important to have safe combinations of classes in groups, rather than equal car counts. I'd rather have one group with 20 cars and one with 40 done in a safe fashion, rather than two 30 car groups where there is likely to be contact between classes.

I'm getting on my soap box now:

In the case where less than perfect groupings are chosen (i.e. small Production/Spec Racer or EP/AS) much of the issue can be alleviated by a split start. For some reason, there seems to be quite a bit of reluctance to do split starts at our events. I have yet to hear a valid reason as to why.

Thanks,
Chuck
Chuck Clark
Advanced Member

Return to Club Racing