2008 Race schedule questions

Club Racing topics.

2008 Race schedule questions

Postby mazdamike » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:51 pm

:?: I guess it is a little too early for websites to be updated but I have a couple of questions. Both the NNITIT at Memphis and the NN at Topeka dates on the schedule say they include the XXXX Holiday for that weekend. What are the ACTUAL race days for those events? 2 days / 3 days,,,,,,Sat. / Sun. or Sun. / Mon. or Sat. - Mon.?? Thanks..... :?:
mazdamike
Advanced Member

Postby FireballPhil » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:24 am

Memphis will have a Sat/Sun/Mon schedule, May 24/25/26. Memphis Motorsports Park will run the test day on the Friday before, May 23rd.

That is the schedule that we have at this time so it is tentative.
Thanks,

Phil Harris
MidSouth Region
Memphis, TN

auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports...all others are games.
-ernest hemingway-
FireballPhil

Postby mazdamike » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:29 am

Thanks Phil, 3 days of racing precceeded by a practice day. I have not seen the 3 day format before. How will the N N IT IT be scheduled (tenatively ;) )??
30 Year Member SCCA
"Drivers have races, Workers have enduros."
mazdamike
Advanced Member

Postby mazdamike » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:50 am

PS Phil, I see the construction taking place on the "drag strip". Any implications for us??
30 Year Member SCCA
mazdamike
Advanced Member

Postby mazdamike » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:55 am

PSS,,,,,,,where are the autocrosses held on the facility???
30 Year Member SCCA
mazdamike
Advanced Member

Postby FireballPhil » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:21 am

"Thanks Phil, 3 days of racing precceeded by a practice day. I have not seen the 3 day format before. How will the N N IT IT be scheduled (tenatively )??"

Due to the track time required by the GCR, we could not even get the NN in 2 days. So we went to a 3 day format and included IT Tour. Most of the other NN across the country have 3 day formats. I don't have any more specifics at this time.

"PS Phil, I see the construction taking place on the "drag strip". Any implications for us??"

What construction? I am not aware of any construction on the drag stip itself. The road course itself received some construction last year and is due for more updates this year. However, no course changes are planned.

"PSS,,,,,,,where are the autocrosses held on the facility???"

Most of the autocrosses are held on the north end of the course and continues through the double 90s and ends about 100' before the drag strip staging area or as we call it, Grant's Tomb.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,

Phil Harris
MidSouth Region
Memphis, TN

auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports...all others are games.
-ernest hemingway-
FireballPhil

Postby mazdamike » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:41 am

Thanks again, Then website (MMP) has the pictures and info (unless it is year old stuff - I guess I may not have read it closely) about new burnout and launch areas. It looks like it stops just before the road course joins it, but then also calls for grinding and polishing the entire drag surface. I guess I'll have to visit again to see if I was reading old news.....
30 Year Member SCCA
mazdamike
Advanced Member

Postby FireballPhil » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:29 am

Thanks for that info Mike. I have a meeting with MMP this Friday and I want to make sure that they don't do what they did about 4 years ago when they repaved the front stretch. The cut the top 3" off and then repaved. Except when the took they 3" they took our transponder loop with it. All I remember from My November meeting at MMP is that they are doing some more track upgrades but they didn't get very detailed.

Thanks again.
Thanks,

Phil Harris
MidSouth Region
Memphis, TN

-ernest hemingway-
FireballPhil

Postby mazdamike » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:54 pm

The grinding and such should not hurt the actual loop "directly" if it is installed at a normal depth. But the proccess has the potential to loosen or displace the epoxy filler. It would probably be a good idea to plan to put a megameter or other tester on it when they are done and check it.
Good luck, see ya.
30 Year Member SCCA
mazdamike
Advanced Member

Return to Club Racing