Formula Class

Club Racing topics.

Formula Class

Postby CJT » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:03 pm

In looking at potential classes to join in the KS, OK, MO, CO, TX, etc region/area I am trying to find out how active the formula classes are here and which ones in particular have the best car counts for club racing, as well as any other advice to new members.

I have been investigating Formula Vee, Formula 500, and Formula Ford in particular, the F1000 and FMazda appear to be out of the price range I am willing to pursue in terms of initial cost and operating costs. But I am also concerned with parts availability on some of the others as well.

Any info, advice, etc is much appreciated.
CJT

Postby neilcox » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:55 pm

Formula Vee has good counts and great competition in our division. Where are you located and have you raced before?

Price of entry will range from $5000 - 25,000. Operating costs are dependent on tire usage and number of events entered, but are very reasonable. Contrary to what you have heard we are not having big parts issues. If/when a part becomes limited or non available the rules are adjusted to allow a replacement.
neilcox

Formula

Postby CJT » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have had a very hard time finding an active message board about SCCA in the area. I am located in KS. The Formula 500 cars look very interesting, but I was not sure how active they were in Omaha, Gateway, Topeka, Hallet, etc. How many active formula vees are running in the area? Are there different classes of FV or are they all the same? Are there any F500's here? What is you opinion of the pros and cons of FV vs F500? I plan to try and make it out to see some club racing hopefully this summer to check out the racing and visit.

Thanks for any opinions, info, help. If there are any other websites, boards, etc you recommend, let me know, whether for info, classifieds, etc.
CJT

Postby KelleyHux » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:12 pm

If you haven't already - check out the FV Board at:
http://www.formulavee.org/interchange/

And, depending upon where you live in Kansas, there may be some very competitive FV drivers in your neighborhood. Bill & Lisa Noble live in Manhattan, and Bill's a multi-time national champion. Lisa's a good driver in her own right.

If you want to look at other formula cars (not F500), try:
http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/

There's a wealth of information on the other open-wheel classes available by searching that board and the other parts of the website.

The message boards aren't all that active in this part of the country.

I'd like to take the opportunity to invite you to join us at MidAmerica Motorplex the weekend of April 26/27. The Missouri Valley Race Group (consisting of the Nebraska and Des Moines Valley Regions) is hosting a Regional/National event. We'd love to have you come out and see more about the cars and our club.

Kelley Huxtable
MVRG Chief Registrar
KelleyHux
Advanced Member

Postby neilcox » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:33 pm

What Kelley said :D

There are 10-14 active FV racers in MiDiv, including 3 past Runoffs winners and 3-5 capable of winning. You will find more cars to race with and drivers to learn from in FV than any other Formula class in our division. FVs have gearboxes, complete suspensions and an automotive engine. Our corner speeds are faster than F500. A spinoff of FV is Formula First. It is gaining popularity in the Central Division, but I do not know of any cars in our area.

There is a race at Hallett April 12-13. Come see us.

http://www.formulavee.org/interchange/

http://www.sracing.com/ForSale/forsale.htm

http://www.formulavee.us/
neilcox

FV

Postby CJT » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:59 pm

Thanks for the info and replies. I won't be able to make either of those races, but I do plan to try to make it out later this summer/year and check it out. I have been to Hallet in the past, and also used to like seeing the racing at Lake Afton in Wichita KS. I may try to go to Topeka if the schedule works out.

I had seen some info on the formula first division, and I like the bigger engine and tires there, but wasn't sure if that was going well in this area. It did look like FV was more active than formula first or F500, or formula fords for that matter, and the Formula mazdas and 1000's look too expensive and not very active.
CJT

If your interested in a Vee I live in Kansas

Postby formulavee77 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:25 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I am a Newbie in Formula Vee from right here in Kansas ( Salina) I had the opportunity to hang out with the Nobles and others for a year or so before I bought the car. I can speak from personal experience that you won't find a more competitive class of formula cars with the nicest people involved. Neal Cox was also a big help when I was hanging out with Nobles and I am looking forward to meeting him again this season. Your more than welcome to come see the car at our shop or meet up with us at a race or two. Fell free to e-mail me at ravemotorsports@hotmail.com.

Bill Gray
FV77
formulavee77

Run Offs

Postby CJT » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:50 pm

Looked at the schedule and I guess I won't see you guys run, but I plan to try and come up to the last Sat. of the runoffs at HPT on Oct 11th.
CJT

Return to Club Racing