Winter Racing Projects

Club Racing topics.

Postby theenico » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:52 am

So what are everyone's plans for the winter.

I'll go first. The Scirocco is getting a total redo. I'm gonna add another 20' of rollbar tubing for ballast (The car is way underweight), parts are being accumulated to rebuild the engine (finally), and time and budget permitting I might actually paint the ugly old POS.
theenico

Postby grundy » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:03 am

Nico,

My list is Transponder, Wheels, Tires, 4.88 rear diff, Tri Link and New Transmission. Pretty much in that order. Budget permitting I'll add a new front air dam.
Mark Jeffery<br>IT7 #92<br>1985 Mazda RX7<br>Arkansas Region
grundy

Postby Speed Raycer » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:28 pm

For the new RX7.... new cage, sheilded wires for the MSD's, new fuel pump :angry: and that's pretty much the list. Of course I have to finish reorganizing my garage trying to get more space so that I can mount the bender somewhere, order a 1.5" die set for the Hossfeld, build my JY TIG welder :D and deal with the holidays...

Oh yeah... new belts <_< and a transponder!

Oh.... and <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>IT7 </span>stickers!!!!
Scott Rhea
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it.
Izzy's Custom Cages
Speed Raycer
Advanced Member

Postby mustanghammer » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:20 pm

I guess only the RX7 guys are working on their cars this year....with the exception of Nico of course.

I get to do a drive shaft, a new rear trans bushing (anybody got a good source for RX7 first gen drive shafts), a bigger radiator, a smaller fuel cell and maybe a new exhaust system from the header back. I would like to re-wire the car so that starting/run is on circuit I can troublshoot, install a tach with a tattle tell, and a couple of BIG warning lites. I also need to buy one Panasport 13x7 to replace a missing wheel, then belts and a transponder.

I already have IT7 on the car!

Scott Peterson
IT7 #17
mustanghammer

Postby grundy » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:22 pm

Scott,

Contact Mike Wiggins at RX7Heaven.com. He's probably got a couple hundred or so driveshafts.

It does look like a lot of RX7 stuff will be purchased this winter. Lets hope we have a huge turnout for IT7 at every event.
grundy

Postby jigou » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:24 am

Probably change the oil in my Miata.....

:D

Jarrod
jigou

Postby grundy » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:48 am

OK Jarrod. You got us. You SM guys.. Sheeesh. I was disappointed that my recommendation that all SM's run the OEM space saver tire on the right front didn't make it to the the floor. I would have even settled for the Jelly Filled Donut option.

It was a pleasure meeting you at the convention. I'm keeping my SM options open but will most likely wait till some more dust settles before getting on the train.

Happy Holidays

Mark Jeffery
grundy

Postby mustanghammer » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:59 am

Thanks Mark, I will call RX7 Heaven. We have found that local drive shaft companies lack the precision to get an RX7 shaft balanced for high RPM use.

Scott Peterson
mustanghammer

Postby Speed Raycer » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:38 pm

Started cutting out the old cage today. It's amazing how fast a cage can be dismantled, but how long it takes to be installed :)

Just a reminder to everyone that runs straight water in your radiator, if you haven't already, you should swap in some anti-freeze.
Scott Rhea
it's how you build it.
Izzy's Custom Cages
Speed Raycer
Advanced Member

Postby theenico » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:04 am

My car has a nice cozy cave (literally) to hibernate in :rolleyes:
theenico

Postby Speed Raycer » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:43 pm

Holy Cow!

Just got done pulling the old cage out. You guys wouldn't believe the quality of welds on the thing. :angry: Every spot they couldn't get to easily was filled in with some sort of epoxy or JB Weld. I actually was able to break the "weld" on the downbars at the main hoop joint above the drivers head which is when I noticed the epoxy. There was also 4 or 5 incomplete welds on some of the tubes.

Sheesh! Luckily, I didn't buy the car with plans of retaining that cage for too long.
Scott Rhea
it's how you build it.
Izzy's Custom Cages
Speed Raycer
Advanced Member

Postby PKnese » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:18 am

theenico wrote: My car has a nice cozy cave (literally) to hibernate in  :rolleyes:

Nico, you actually have a car that runs??? :blink: Make sure your butt is at Gateway for the driver's school, cause you're going to be surfing off the back of my car like you were off the immunity truck at NOPI (**Gasp**) last summer! :D B)
- Pete
PKnese
Advanced Member

Postby ITA-MR2 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:17 pm

Well, Nico . . .

You know what I'm doing, since my car has been in The Cave with yours since about the time you posted the first query. :D
ITA-MR2

Postby tnord » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:59 am

well, you guys in the caves know what's going on with mine. i just rolled in the red miata with half a motor in it last weekend.

this "winter," which is actually last weekend and the next 2, consists of:

new valve springs
new valve guide seals
re-seat the valves
new water pump
new timing belt
new fuel filter
front air damn
4 new rotors
new pads
oil pressure guage
water temp guage
new ecu

i'm sure there is more that i'm forgetting.
Lenexa, KS<br>SM #38 Red
tnord
Advanced Member

Return to Club Racing