Super School Roll Call

Club Racing topics.

Postby Casual » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:50 am

Gateway Super School is only weeks off and I am excited. Who else will be a student, where are you from, what is your car and number? I'll start off:

Jim Schriver, Cedarville, AR - red SM #31
Casual

Postby jkopp » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:14 pm

First timer here also. I am very excited and nervous at the same time. See you there!

Jeff Kopp, Gardner, KS - blue AS Camaro #36
Jeff Kopp<br>#36 AS Camaro<br>K.C. Region<br>Crew Chief for Mike McGinley - #50 T1 Corvette
jkopp

Postby Speed Raycer » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:04 pm

Remember guys, bring something to keep you warm. Last year it snowed on us in one session and was about 20 degrees after dark. The year before it was in the 60's, so be prepared.

I won't be in the school, but it looks like I'll be racing on Sunday unless any of you guys know someone looking to rent a car for the school ;)

Scott Rhea
IT7 #?? (whatevers not taken)
St. Louis
Scott Rhea
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it.
Izzy's Custom Cages
Speed Raycer
Advanced Member

Postby Batoutahell » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:06 pm

Jim Lorenzetti - leading the Kansas City caravan, ITA crx #43
Batoutahell

Postby jigou » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:42 am

Speed Raycer wrote:Scott Rhea
IT7 #?? (whatevers not taken)
St. Louis

Heh. You looked at the number list lately, Scott?

Might have to go to 3 digits before the end of the year. :blink:

(Just kidding.....sorta.)

Jarrod
jigou

Postby KelleyHux » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:23 pm

umm ... NO ... currently the GCR does not allow three-digit numbers without the permission of the Chief of Timing and Scoring. That would put the acceptance on a per-event basis. In all fairness, MiDiv as a division cannot sell a number that the driver may not have a reasonable chance at using.

Keep in mind, you are not required to purchase a permanent number. It is merely a convenience, both for the driver and for the workers.

Kelley Huxtable
MiDiv National Pointskeeper
& "Permanent Number Seller"
KelleyHux
Advanced Member

Postby jamarmfg » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:59 am

I'm signed up and got my car inspected and my log book this past Sat. Jim Brewer, Sikeston, Mo. ' 96 SM # 37 red.
jamarmfg

Postby QuicRic » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:59 am

I am also excited. Can't wait for the school and race.
Rick Harris SM #15. Wichita , KS.
QuicRic

Postby tnord » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:38 am

wow...lots of miata's, i like it. i'm not too excited about the roval though.

Travis Nordwald
Lawrence Kansas - caravaning with Jim

SM #38 Red
Lenexa, KS<br>SM #38 Red
tnord
Advanced Member

Postby jigou » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:57 am

Should be AT LEAST 3-4 Miatas from the Des Moines area down there as well.

If I can get away, I might go lend a crew hand....

Jarrod
jigou

Postby Speed Raycer » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:37 pm

Sounds like there's going to be Miatas buzzing around everywhere!!!! The more the merrier I say.

Anyone heard whether or not they changed the T1 configuration? There was a buzz about that at the October race last season.

I'll be attending Saturday as well as Sunday. Couldn't pass up a good amount of track time for only an additional $85.

Oh... I've got both black and white tape, so I'm whatever # they say I can be :D
Scott Rhea
it's how you build it.
Izzy's Custom Cages
Speed Raycer
Advanced Member

Postby tnord » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:42 am

hey scott-

do you know what the format is going to be for all 3 days? i haven't attended an SCCA school or race before, so i'm really not sure how this is going to work. :unsure:
Lenexa, KS<br>SM #38 Red
tnord
Advanced Member

Postby mcgyverit » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:17 pm

Last year when I attended, Friday morning there was a couple of hours of in class session and then get paired up with instructors in their cars. They will let you get with as many different instructors as you need and try to get 2 or 3 different ride alongs to get different opinions on the track. Then they turn you "loose" with set limits to passing areas and such, as most everyone is getting used to their cars except for a few who were quick right out of the box. Then there was lunch and then it was right back at it, about every half hour you are going to be on the track working on whatever your instructor is telling you to work on so be sure that you have an excellent crew that knows what needs to be done to the car between sessions, rotate tires, check lug nuts, fill up the tank, check air pressures, etc.. Saturday morning be ready because it is racing all day from like 8 am to 5 pm in half hour sessions. It wouldnt hurt to show up early with your gear already on and ready to go, I remember changing in the garage with the 2 minute call going out. Saturday is more speed while still working with your instructor. After lunch they step up the pace and it is pretty much as fast as you can while still holding to the guidlines they set. One of the last sessions will be about flags (be sure to know them very well) and safety workers, tow trucks and medial vehicles on the track. Generally if all is going well and no major goofs they do a couple of mock race starts to help get an idea of what it is like to go into turn one in "race" mode followed up by a 10 lap or 10 minute race, I cant remember which. After that you get your score for the class. Then hopefully you pass and participate in the Regional race on Sunday, make sure if you do compete in the race that after it is over get the Chief Steward or designated person to sign your Novice Permit that shows that you completed the race, very important. Now this was last year and I am sure that things have changed a little but hopefully this gives you some idea.
mcgyverit

Postby tnord » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:25 pm

it helps very much, thank you.
Lenexa, KS<br>SM #38 Red
tnord
Advanced Member

Postby Speed Raycer » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:29 pm

BTW... for those of you that haven't seen the track before:

<a href='http://www.izzyscustomcages.com/images/Video/GatewayLap1.wmv' target='_blank'>http://www.izzyscustomcages.com/images/Vid...GatewayLap1.wmv</a>

(That's mcgyverit at the wheel.... he'll be in a Viper Yellow SSC Neon this year ;) )
Scott Rhea
it's how you build it.
Izzy's Custom Cages
Speed Raycer
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Club Racing