Spec Neon In Midiv?

Club Racing topics.

Postby Speed Raycer » Tue May 27, 2003 10:09 am

What's the process of getting a new class organized in Midiv???

Spec Neon is taking root in the Northeast and Central division and I wonder if it might have a chance here as well. All the early SSC Neons got a reprieve from ITS for a couple more seasons, but unless they get reclassed into ITA or comp. adjustments happen, its going to be a graveyard of Neons in S.

I just wonder if Spec Neon would meet the same fate as the IT7 attempt here in Midiv.
Scott Rhea
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it.
Izzy's Custom Cages
Speed Raycer
Advanced Member

Postby PKnese » Wed May 28, 2003 8:07 am

What happened to IT7? I thought that would be a great idea! Were there not enough of them or somehting?

BTW - Why are you interested in Spec Neon, Mr. RX7???? :D
- Pete
PKnese
Advanced Member

Postby jigou » Wed May 28, 2003 10:45 am

Essentially, the reason IT7 wasn't approved was there wasn't enough active interest expressed at the last Midiv convention.

There was only one interested RX7 driver present at the convention, and I don't think he could stick around for the business meeting.

To get a new class organized in Midiv, you'll need to show active interest, along with a compelling reason for the class. With the recent reprieve in SS, my guess is you'll have a VERY hard time getting Spec Neon started until they're no longer eligible for SS.

That said, along with showing active interest, here's what I'd do: (Keep in mind I don't really know what I'm talking about....)

1. Read the Midiv rules and bylaws. Determine the OFFICIAL channels. You'll need to get on the agenda for the annual business meeting (takes place in November). Beg, borrow or steal a ride - but be there in person.

2. Campaign. Sounds political - and it is. It's rules, regulations and by-laws, after all. (WELCOME to the political side of the SCCA!!) Show that there are cars out there waiting to play. Show that there are drivers who care - even though it's some travel, get them to the Midiv Convention (this year in the Ozarks, I believe). Do your homework ahead of time - look into the class, and determine all of the opposition and questions you might face....then come up with appropriate responses. Talk to the REs of all of the regions (you doing this one-on-one can work, but the REs should and will listen to their local drivers more) - they're the ones that vote in the meeting. Campaign the class - get a car, build it to the specs, and get others to do the same. Enter whatever class the cars fall in with those modifications, and run your own "race within a race".

If there are no cars, I'll almost guarantee there will NOT be a class. If there's activity, it will be considered. Remember, someone has to be first.....

I don't want to make it sound impossible to get the class created - it certainly is not. You just need to demonstrate the need and, probably more important, the desire.

Of course, you could just join us on the bandwagon in Spec Miata. :blink: But you knew that.....

Jarrod
jigou

Postby Speed Raycer » Wed May 28, 2003 4:46 pm

BTW - Why are you interested in Spec Neon, Mr. RX7????

My brother is getting ready to buy a SSC 95 ACR to run for the next couple of seasons, so we need a backup plan in case the Neons are relegated to ITS forever ;)

There was only one interested RX7 driver present at the convention, and I don't think he could stick around for the business meeting.

That's a shame. At the final race at Gateway last season most of the RX7 drivers that I talked to were all for it, including Charlie Clark. I was surprised that it didn't go through.

With the recent reprieve in SS, my guess is you'll have a VERY hard time getting Spec Neon started until they're no longer eligible for SS.

Exactly. He plans to run in SSC for as long as he can and hope for a reclass into ITA, or Comp. Adjustments for IT, but SpecNeon would be cool.

Of course, you could just join us on the bandwagon in Spec Miata.  But you knew that.....

He cant fit in a Miata :D He sat in the one we built for Tim Blythe and couldn't shut the door w/o hitting his shoulder. Besides, at this point guys are building front running SN's for under 8k... I think we all know where the price of front running SM's are getting :D
Scott Rhea
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it.
Izzy's Custom Cages
Speed Raycer
Advanced Member

Postby PKnese » Thu May 29, 2003 12:06 pm

Hey Scott, is this the same brother that did the driver's school this year in the RX7? I guess the racing bug bit him huh?

Just tell him to give ME all his money! It'll be a lot quicker and painless :D

That way I can afford more parts for my race car! B)
- Pete
PKnese
Advanced Member

Postby mcgyverit » Fri May 30, 2003 2:33 pm

Yeah, the bug has bit me. But so far it has been painless, but I shall see come Saturday when I pick up the car how painless it will be.
mcgyverit

Return to Club Racing